Aging and Long-Term Care CE Online Text-based Home Course (10 CE)
However, often overlooked are the emotional and social challenges which elders face, which can compound the negative outcomes of their physical health. Depression, isolation, and grief, for example, are common among the elderly and can interfere with their ability to thrive with long-term illness. Very importantly too, the long-term care of elders includes caregivers, often women and family, who bear a substantial emotional burden. Their depression, conflicts and guilt can make the process and decision-making challenging, and without treatment, put them and the elders at risk. This course will discuss how therapists can assist elders and their families cope with the emotional and transitional issues associated with long-term care. Accommodations of therapy, counter-transference and assessment techniques for therapists will be addressed. Attention is also given to social issues and cultural diversity, treatment modalities including formal care, informal care and spiritual approaches, and the legal aspects of family and team-caregiving.
Authors: Tima Ivanova, M.A., LMFT, Patricia Patton-Lehn, Ph.D., Nancy Klein, M.A., LMFT
Target Audience: Introductory and Intermediate; LMFTs, Social Workers, LPCCs, Nurses, Substance Abuse Counselors, and other mental health clinicians.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Identify and assess the medical, emotional and social factors which impact elders’ mental health.
- Identify and assess the roles, pressures and challenges among informal caregivers.
- Implement a range of treatment modalities for elders and caregivers.
- Develop interventions, taking into account issues of cultural diversity, and the legal and tactical adjustments that must be made for long-term caregiving.
This course satisfies the following California BBS Pre-licensure requirements:
Advantages of taking Gerry Grossman Seminars at-home CE courses:
- Online courses offer the post-test online for instant course completion.
- You can repeat the post-test if you don't pass.
- Online courses are available to you immediately after purchase.
- California LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs and LEPs can fulfill 100% of their CE hours online.