Veterans and PTSD Text-based Home Course (4 CE)
Iraq and Afghanistan military veterans are at high risk for PTSD and a host of serious co-occurring issues such as substance abuse, depression, domestic violence, and suicidality. This presentation utilizes resources from the National Center for Posttraumatic Stress Disorder and the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs to help therapists better understand and assess for the mental health impact caused by combat-related PTSD and vicarious trauma. Information learned from Vietnam-era veterans with chronic PTSD will be included to enhance the learning experience. Special attention will be given to the impact of sexual harassment and abuse of women in the military. Treatment methods that focus on helping veterans process their traumatic experiences and cope with a range of other trauma-related symptoms are presented.
Authors: Patricia Patton-Lehn, Ph.D, Aaliyah Madyun, B.A.
Target Audience: Introductory and Intermediate; LMFTs, Social Workers, LPCCs, Nurses, Substance Abuse Counselors, and other mental health clinicians.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Identify the mental health consequences of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan on returning war veterans.
- Assess risk factors and treatment concerns for returning war veterans including: combat stress, Acute Stress Disorder, and PTSD.
- Identify the mental health consequences of sexual harassment and abuse of women in the military, the ongoing impact for families and partners, and common co-occurring disorders.
- Utilize and integrate appropriate treatment interventions for the returning war veteran and the family.
This course satisfies the following California BBS Pre-licensure requirements:
Advantages of taking Gerry Grossman Seminars at-home CE courses:
- Online courses offer the post-test online for instant course completion.
- You can repeat the post-test if you don't pass.
- Online courses are available to you immediately after purchase.
- California LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs and LEPs can fulfill 100% of their CE hours online.
|Asset Includes||Online Programs|