6-Hour CE Law and Ethics Online Video Course
A thorough understanding of current laws and ethical standards pertaining to psychotherapy is critical for therapists. This video presents a comprehensive and up-to-date information specific to recently enacted legislation as it pertains to mental health professionals in California. It also includes an overview of issues such as privilege and confidentiality, danger to self or others, treatment of minors, mandated responsibilities, telehealth, health insurance and private practice, and other legal issues related to mental health practice. This course covers recently enacted legislation, including information about CARE courts, the No Surprises Act, and the Mental Health Access Improvement Act, and much more.
Instructor: Gerry Grossman, M.A., LMFT
Target Audience: Introductory to Advanced; MFTs, Social Workers, Counselors.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Assess and manage legal responsibilities pertaining to both mandated and permitted exceptions.
- Assess and manage ethical responsibilities including dual relationships, establishing and maintaining clinical boundaries, managing countertransference, and engaging the client in the informed consent process.
- Maintain a standard of care to protect against charges of criminal, civil, and ethical wrongdoing.
- Describe how to consult to better uphold legal and ethical responsibilities.
This course satisfies the following California BBS Continuing Education requirements:
American Counseling Association (2014). ACA Code of Ethics. Alexandria, VA: ACA
California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists (2019). CAMFT Code of Ethics. San Diego, CA: CAMFT.
National Association of Social Workers (2017). NASW Code of Ethics. Washington DC: NASW.
Gerry Grossman has successfully trained thousands of exam candidates for their BBS licensing exams since 1985. His teaching style is clear, incisive, humorous and empathic. As a trained hypnotherapist, he has assisted many people with test anxiety and other clinical issues. In 2016 Gerry received the Educator of the year award from AAMFT-CA. In private practice, Gerry specializes in working with young children and their families.
- Online courses offer the post-test online for instant course completion.
- You can repeat the post-test if you don't pass.
- Online courses are available to you immediately after purchase.
- California LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs and LEPs can fulfill 100% of their CE hours online.