Suicide: the Aftermath Text-based Home Course (4 CE) - Printed Version
Suicide is the 11th leading cause of death in the United States, and for every person who completes a suicide, there are at least six to 10 “survivors” who will grieve the consequences. Suicide can be a stigmatizing process, such that survivors may face blame and social exclusion, and may blame themselves for the death of their loved one. Their grief process may not be suited for typical grief counseling models, so therapists working with this population need to explore their own assumptions and traditional approaches to grief and loss.
This presentation will focus on the complex issues that occur when a suicide occurs. Treatment methods and grief counseling strategies are provided, with more specific treatment information for those who have survived the suicide of a parent, child, or gay loved one. In addition, this presentation discusses the personal and professional issues that therapists face when a client completes a suicide.
Authors: Samantha Deming, MA, LMFT, Patricia Patton-Lehn, Ph.D., Aaliyah Madyun, B.A.
Target Audience: Introductory and Intermediate; LMFTs, Social Workers, LPCCs, Nurses, Substance Abuse Counselors, and other mental health clinicians.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Identify and assess the distinctive characteristics, and the mental and physical health risks that survivors of suicide face.
- Assess for “complicated grief” and adjust traditional grief counseling models to meet the unique needs of survivors.
- Identify the range of symptoms and treatments for suicide-bereaved children, parents, and mental health professionals.
- Utilize family systems techniques and postvention strategies to help survivor clients.
Advantages of taking Gerry Grossman Seminars at-home CE courses:
- Online courses offer the post-test online for instant course completion.
- You can repeat the post-test if you don't pass.
- Online courses are available to you immediately after purchase.
- California LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs and LEPs can fulfill 100% of their CE hours online.
|Asset Includes||Online Programs|