Teen Dating Violence and Abuse Online Text-based Home Course (4 CE)
According to statistics, one in three teenagers have experienced violence in a dating relationship (Alspaugh, 2009). The number of teens who experience verbal, emotional and even sexual abuse in dating relationships is even greater. Dating violence impacts all economic, racial, cultural, religious and social groups. As teenagers inherently have far less power and psychological influence in society than adults, they face an even higher risk of serious injury. Many teens misperceive abusive acts as signs of “love,” which significantly impacts their ability to ask for help.
This course will discuss assessment techniques for teen dating abuse and address pertinent treatment issues for the victimized teen, including prevention skills for dating violence. Attention will also be given to the Lesbian, Bisexual, Gay and Transgender teen population as related to sociological issues that affect teen dating violence. Treatment dynamics involving parents whose teenager is in a violent relationship will also be addressed.
Author: Patricia Patton-Lehn, Ph.D.
Target Audience: Introductory and Intermediate; LMFTs, Social Workers, LPCCs, Nurses, Substance Abuse Counselors, and other mental health clinicians.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Identify and assess for signs of teen dating violence and other forms of abuse.
- Understand the specific sociological and treatment issues associated with dating violence in the Lesbian, Bisexual, Gay and Transgender (LBGT) teen population.
- Learn to work more effectively with issues of teen dating violence and victimization, including prevention skills for relationship abuse.
- Address parents’ concerns about teens being in a violent or abusive relationship.
Advantages of taking Gerry Grossman Seminars at-home CE courses:
- Online courses offer the post-test online for instant course completion.
- You can repeat the post-test if you don't pass.
- Online courses are available to you immediately after purchase.
- California LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs and LEPs can fulfill 100% of their CE hours online.