Religion, Spirituality and Psychotherapy Online Text-based Home Course (7 CE)
Of all the human diversity issues addressed in psychotherapy, spirituality and religion remains one of the most overlooked and devalued. There is a history of conflict between the spiritual and psychotherapeutic realms, with some therapists believing that the two areas are mutually exclusive. Many graduate programs do not include training about the potential role of spirituality in psychotherapy.
This course explores the various roles of spirituality and religion and the creation of a “sacred place” in the context of psychotherapy. An overview of sacred themes, symbols, rituals and language for the major Western and Eastern religions is reviewed. Other topics include identifying a working definition of spirituality, assessing for secular or religious/spiritual therapy, incorporating Jungian perspectives on spirituality, and specific treatment techniques that judiciously utilize religious/spiritual practices. Special attention is given to AAMFT and NASW ethical standards as related to this topic.
Author: Patricia Patton-Lehn, Ph.D.
Target Audience: Introductory and Intermediate; LMFTs, Social Workers, LPCCs, Nurses, Substance Abuse Counselors, and mental health clinicians.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Determine a working definition of spirituality for psychotherapists.
- Assess for the use of secular or religious/spiritual elements with clients.
- Identify the essential dynamics for creating a “sacred place” in psychotherapy.
- Discuss various sacred themes, symbols, rituals and language for the major Western and Eastern religions, including Jungian perspectives on spirituality.
- Utilize specific treatment approaches from various religious/spiritual orientations in an ethical and professional way.
- Identify and manage therapist’s countertransferential reactions.
Advantages of taking Gerry Grossman Seminars at-home CE courses:
- Online courses offer the post-test online for instant course completion.
- You can repeat the post-test if you don't pass.
- Online courses are available to you immediately after purchase.
- California LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs and LEPs can fulfill 100% of their CE hours online.