Families of Children with Special Needs Online Text-based Home Course (4 CE)
With the increasing prevalence of AD/HD, Autism and Asperger's developmental disorders, therapists are challenged to support not only the "Special Needs" child, but also the whole family. Therapists must guide families through the process of finding an accurate diagnosis, modifying treatment plans (i.e. medication, behavioral strategies, developmental needs), and navigating the school system, extended family and the treatment team. The parent(s) are charged with new and overwhelming financial, logistical, and emotional burdens, and the careful guidance for them is an essential factor in the child's treatment.
This presentation defines "Special Needs", the diagnostic and treatment issues, and provides a general profile of the children diagnosed as such. This presentation will provide clinical information to assist therapists with understanding and accommodating treatment goals and interventions for the "Special Needs" child and family unit. A major focus is upon the complexities that come with parenting a "Special Needs" child. Finally, the role and identities of the "normal" sibling(s) are considered.
Authors: Gerry Grossman, M.A., LMFT, Nancy Klein, M.A., LMFT
Target Audience: Introductory and Intermediate; LMFTs, Social Workers, LPCCs, Nurses, Substance Abuse Counselors, and other mental health clinicians.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Identify the broad indicators of a "Special Needs" child, including the general diagnostic and treatment paradigms.
- Describe the major factors that therapists must consider in treating the child and the family unit.
- Explore the emotional and psychological issues that accompany a "Special Needs" diagnosis, including co-occurring diagnoses for the child, and the systems dynamics for the family.
- Describe the interventional themes for parents in the home and the qualities that contribute to more effective coping by the whole family.
Advantages of taking Gerry Grossman Seminars at-home CE courses:
- Online courses offer the post-test online for instant course completion.
- You can repeat the post-test if you don't pass.
- Online courses are available to you immediately after purchase.
- California LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs and LEPs can fulfill 100% of their CE hours online.