Coping with Aging Parents Online Text-based Home Course (4 CE)
Population demographics in the United States have been – and will continue – to shift dramatically toward a significantly large portion of residents being aged 65 and older. These elder years are often accompanied by increasing dependence due to disabilities, chronic illnesses, fixed incomes and the natural consequences of aging. Caregiving responsibilities for the elderly are most often met by family members. As a consequence, most mental healthcare providers will be called upon to help clients cope with the difficulties of caregiving and changing family dynamics. Mental health practitioners will need to possess knowledge related to the unique needs of this population. This course covers the various challenges and health impacts of caregiving as well as an overview of federal and state support resources for the elderly and their familial caregivers. There are also sections that offer a decision-making model for caregiving, practical strategies for coping with an aging parent and therapeutic interventions.
Authors: Gerry Grossman, M.A., LMFT, Nancy Klein, M.A., LMFT
Target Audience: Introductory and Intermediate; LMFTs, Social Workers, LPCCs, Nurses, Substance Abuse Counselors, and other mental health clinicians.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Address the various challenges associated with caregiving.
- Recognize and utilize non-familial support for the elderly and their caregivers.
- Facilitate practical strategies when dealing with aging parents and their caregivers.
- Utilize various therapeutic approaches when treating elders and their caregivers.
- Recognize the warning signs of elder abuse and carry out the legal obligations pertaining to this.
Advantages of taking Gerry Grossman Seminars at-home CE courses:
- Online courses offer the post-test online for instant course completion.
- You can repeat the post-test if you don't pass.
- Online courses are available to you immediately after purchase.
- California LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs and LEPs can fulfill 100% of their CE hours online.