Clients and Firearms Text-based Home Course (2 CE) - Printed Version
This course covers firearm violence statistics, California firearm laws, risk assessment factors, mental illness and firearms, types of firearm violence, and the process for breaking confidentiality in an impending crisis. The intention of this course is for mental health professionals to have enough information to make informed clinical decisions and a sound course of action when there is an impending crisis with a mental health client who has access to a firearm.
Author(s): Nikolai Nygard, B.A., Gerry Grossman, M.A., LMFT, Kat Foley, M.A.,LMHCA, MHP
Target Audience: Introductory and Intermediate; LMFTs, Social Workers, LPCCs, Nurses, Substance Abuse Counselors, and other mental health clinicians.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Identify prominent mass shootings, firearm statistics, and types of gun violence in order to gain a better understanding of the significance and role of firearms in mental health treatment.
- Utilize statistics to evaluate and aid in making informed decisions when it comes to whether or not mental health professionals are obligated to breach client confidentiality in order to protect the safety of clients or others.
- Identify specific California firearm laws to better streamline the decision-making process when there is a potential threat with a mental health client that may result in a breach of confidentiality.
- Identify specific risk factors that include demographics, mental illness, danger to the client and others, and types of firearm violence, as they serve as guidelines in the decision-making process regarding the breach of confidentiality.
- Recognize countertransference regarding the topic of firearms and mental health; identify individual biases and avoid automatic assumptions so as not interfere with client care.
- Identify the process for breaching confidentiality after determining the necessity to do so; collate local law enforcement agencies and phone numbers in a contact list for ready access.
Advantages of taking Gerry Grossman Seminars at-home CE courses:
- Online courses offer the post-test online for instant course completion.
- You can repeat the post-test if you don't pass.
- Online courses are available to you immediately after purchase.
- California LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs and LEPs can fulfill 100% of their CE hours online.
|Asset Includes||Online Programs|