Children Exposed to Domestic Violence Online Text-based Home Course (4 CE)
Children exposed to domestic violence and other high conflict situations live in a perpetual state of combat readiness, ever vigilant for the next battle between their parents. The anguish and rage of these children often result in significantly impaired object relations, dissociative states, an array of high risk and self-defeating behaviors, as well as Posttraumatic Stress Disorder and severe personality disorders in adulthood. This workshop identifies the symptoms and behavioral signs that a child is being exposed to domestic violence. It explores the factors that impact how much stress a child endures as well as the developmental and neurological impacts of violence in the home. It covers assessment and diagnostic issues for PTSD, traumatic bonding and attachment dynamics, and treatment approaches that include practical cognitive-behavioral skill-building techniques (e.g. self-soothing and self-care strategies, interpersonal effectiveness and social skills), in addition to psychodynamic work and art therapy that emphasizes the therapeutic relationship and internalizing safe objects as key curative factors.
Author: Patricia Patton-Lehn, Ph.D.
Target Audience: Introductory and Intermediate; LMFTs, Social Workers, LPCCs, Nurses, Substance Abuse Counselors, and mental health clinicians.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Assess for a range of symptoms, including traumatic bonding, attachment dynamics, and PTSD.
- Apply Dr. Judith Herman’s model of Complex Posttraumatic Stress Disorder with this population.
- Identify environmental, developmental and neurological factors that influence the impact of violence on a child.
- Utilize both cognitive-behavioral skill-building techniques and psychodynamic treatment approaches.
This course satisfies the following California BBS Pre-licensure requirements:
Advantages of taking Gerry Grossman Seminars at-home CE courses:
- Online courses offer the post-test online for instant course completion.
- You can repeat the post-test if you don't pass.
- Online courses are available to you immediately after purchase.
- California LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs and LEPs can fulfill 100% of their CE hours online.